Don’t Miss Out on the Latest Updates.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter Today!
- Health A-Z
- Diet & Fitness
- Home remedies
- Web Stories
Yoga as practice extends beyond a combination of poses and exercises and provides a philosophy that promises to improve life. Its popularity globally signifies its worth compared to conventional forms of exercise. Yoga seeks unity between the body, mind and soul. It practices the eternal quest for the self and harmony with our surroundings, promoting physical, mental and spiritual growth. In terms of fitness, yoga offers various poses that involve stretches and twists and meditation techniques that can significantly help physical and mental ailments. One such pose or asana is the Marichyasana. It is dedicated to the sage Marichi, a prominent figure from Hindu mythology. Marichyasana is a seated twist that affects the shoulders, back, ribs, core and thighs primarily through stretching and strengthening them.
Here's how to perform the Sage Marichi Twist. Fitness Expert Meenakshi Mohanty explains in a few quick steps:
1. Commence the exercise by sitting on a mat with your legs stretched out in front, as in the staff pose. Fold your right knee and bring the heel as close as possible to the sitting bone while keeping the left leg straight.
2. While keeping the right foot and sitting bones firmly placed on the ground, extend the left arm, bringing the elbow across the raised knee. The outer part of the right knee should touch the extreme left armpit. Use the right hand for support by placing it on the mat behind the pelvis.
3. Apply gentle pressure with the left elbow over the right knee to twist from the sacrum, elongating and stretching the spine. Keep the right foot placed firmly on the mat.
4. Keep the shoulders and neck relaxed to avoid unnecessary tension.
5. Hold the position for 10-12 breaths.
6. Relax and inhale while coming out of the position. Repeat for the opposite side.
The Marichyasana, like any other pose or exercise, must be done with precaution due to its large number of muscles.
The Marichyasana thus can make an excellent addition to one exercise routine due to the benefits it potentially offers with proper execution, care, and consistency.
Follow us on
Enroll for our free updates
Thanks for update subscribe information