This easter, instead of filling your stomach with empty calories that will make you sluggish, take the healthy route. Healthy does not mean that you would be missing out on taste, but rather you will enjoy a combination of taste and nutrition. Here is one such recipe that tastes decadent and is made of nutritious ingredients. Whether your easter guests follow a vegan or gluten-free diet, this date and walnut balls can sure please the crowd. All it takes to prepare these yummy balls is chopping, mixing and shaping. Dates can be a good substitute for white sugar as they are free of sodium, cholesterol and fats. Rich in fibre they are good for your digestive system and regulate bowel movements. They prevent the build-up of LDL cholesterol, which can put your heart health at risk by increasing your chances of suffering from hypertension, stroke, heart disease, etc. Dates contain about 656 mg of potassium per 100g. According to WHO guidelines, an adult should consume 3,510 mg of potassium every day, lower levels of which can make one more susceptible to high blood pressure, heart disease and stroke. Also, try this mini ham and cheese quiches this easter.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped seedless black dates
- 2 tbsp finely chopped walnuts (akhrot)
- 1/4 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and mix well till the mixture binds well in the dough.
- Divide the mixture into 8 portions and shape each portion into a round ball. Serve immediately or store refrigerated in an air-tight container. Serve it within three to four days.
Image source: Getty Images
Video sources: Tarla Dalal/YouTube
Published: March 23, 2016 12:05 pm