Delicacies from Kerala are exciting and full of flavour. It is during Vishu, also famously called Sadhya, that Keralites prepare the traditional dishes and serve it to their friends and family. Avial is one such delicacy which is not only yummy but is also very healthy. Prepared dry with vegetables, yoghurt and grated coconut, the dish is a powerhouse of nutrients. It tastes best when had with rice.
To be ground into a smooth coconut paste (using 1/2 cup of water) :
- 3/4 cup freshly grated coconut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 tbsp roughly chopped green chillies
- 1/2 cup drumstick pieces
- 1/2 cup French beans, (cut into 25 mm), (1″) pieces
- 1/2 cup red pumpkin (bhopla/kaddu) thick slices
- 1/2 cup fresh curd (dahi)
- Salt to taste
- Combine the curd and the prepared coconut paste in a deep bowl and whisk very well. Keep aside.
- Boil two cups of water in a deep non-stick pan add the drumstick, mix well and cook on a medium flame for five minutes or till the drumsticks are half cooked.
- Add the French beans, carrot and salt. Mix well and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or till the vegetables are 90% cooked, while stirring continuously.
- Add the curd-coconut paste, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3-4 minutes, while stirring continuously. Serve hot with rice.
So try out this authentic South Indian dish and tell us in comments how you liked it. You may also want to try this South Indian crepe adai.
Image source: Shutterstock Images
Video source: Tarla Dalal/YouTube
Published: April 4, 2016 6:07 pm