This vegetable upma is a very good option for breakfast or an evening snack as it can be prepared in a jiffy. The split black grams or urad dal used in this recipe contains proteins and is packed with iron, folate. potassium and fibre. It is also a rich source of calcium and can help maintain good bones and teeth. The carbohydrate present in it can boost your energy and keep you active. You may also want to read the health benefits of popular dals consumed in India.
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 tsp washed urad dal
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 small chopped onion
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 inch ginger piece (chopped)
- 2 green chillies (slit)
- Heat oil in a deep pan. Add mustard seeds, split black grams, curry leaves and onion and saute till lightly brown.
- Add potato, carrot, cauliflower, french beans, salt, ginger, green chillies, green peas and saute for sometime.
- Add green capsicum and mix. Add 2 and 1/2 cups of water and let it come to boil. Cover and cook on medium heat till the vegetables are done.
- Add the semolina and stir. Cover and cook on medium heat till it is cooked and the water is absorbed.
- Serve hot.
Video & Image Source: Getty Images
Published: January 2, 2015 6:15 pm