Are you tired of eating the same old yellow dal every day? Here’s a lip-smacking preparation of the protein-rich urad dal or split black lentils. Prepared with curd, this dal will boost your calcium intake. Serve this energy boosting khatta urad dal with piping hot rotis or paratha of your choice and have it for your lunch or dinner. This protein-rich moong dal chaat can make for an excellent snack option. These low-calorie moong dal dahi vadas are also finger-licking good.
- 1 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1/2 cup whisked low-fat curd (dahi)
- 1/2 tsp garlic (lehsun) paste
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tbsp chopped dhania
- Salt to taste
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in a bowl in enough water in a bowl for 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine the urad dal and 1 and 1/2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add the curd, 1 and 1/2 cups of water, garlic paste, green chilli paste, salt, turmeric powder and mix well.
- Bring to boil and cook on a slow flame for 10 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the coriander and mix well. Serve hot.
This dal tends to thicken if kept for too long. So, if you have made it in advanced add a little water to it and re-heat before serving. However, it will be best to prepare this dal just before your meal.
Image source: Getty Image
Video source: Tarla Dalal/YouTube
Published: February 9, 2016 6:43 pm | Updated:February 11, 2016 11:53 am