This mouth-watering steamed koftas prepared with sprouts and fenugreek leaves can turn the simple Gujarati kadhi into a heart-friendly, low-cholesterol treat. Furthermore, the low-fat curd makes it a perfect low-calorie dish for weight watchers. Find out the calories in your favourite dhokla, thepla, handvo and other Gujarati snacks.
For the koftas
- 1/4 cup sprouted moong (whole green gram), coarsely crushed
- 1/4 cup chopped fenugreek (methi) leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped spinach (palak)
- 1/4 cup besan (Bengal gram flour)
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- Salt to taste
For the kadhi
- 1 and 1/2 cups low-fat curd (dahi)
- 2 tbsp bean (Bengal gram flour)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tsp-ginger garlic chilli paste
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai/sarson)
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 pinches of asafoetida (hing)
- 5 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- Salt to taste
For the garnish:
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
For the koftas:
- Combine all the ingredients along with 1 tbsp of water in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture at equal distance on a steamer plate and steam them in a steamer for 6-8 minutes or till the koftas are firm. Keep aside to cool completely.
For the kadhi:
- Combine the curd, besan and two cups of water in a deep bowl and mix well using a whisk till the mixture is smooth and lump-free.
- Add the turmeric powder and the ginger-green chilli paste, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds.
- When they crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves and saute on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Lower the flame, add the curd-besan mixture and salt and mix well. Cook on a medium flame for 4-5 minutes while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
- How to proceed:
- Just before serving, re-heat the kadhi, add the koftas, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1-2 minutes. Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Image source: Getty Images
Video source: Tarla Dalal/YouTube
Published: January 5, 2016 5:29 pm