When you go gluten-free, staying away from the delicious desserts can be really difficult. However, that does not mean you cannot prepare your favourite sweets free of gluten at home. Here is a mouth-watering dessert option that you are free to enjoy. Prepared with jowar, banana and jaggery, this sheera is rich with heart-healthy vitamins and iron. It can also be perfect if you are on a weight loss goal, it makes for a low-calorie treat. According to Naini Setalvad, a renowned nutritionist and obesity consultant, ‘Jaggery is better than white sugar, which is only empty calories. Jaggery also helps detoxify your liver and flush out toxins.’ However, if you are a diabetic, it is always better that you contact a doctor before you include jaggery in your diet. You may also want to try this gluten-free fresh tomato pulp.
- 1/2 cup jowar (white millet) flour
- 1/4 cup mashed banana
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp chopped jaggery (gur)
- Heat the ghee in a non-stick pan, add the jowar flour to it and saute on a medium flame for 1 or 2 minutes till it turns light brown in colour.
- Add the milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds while stirring continuously using a whisk so that no lumps remain.
- Add 1/2 cup water and jaggery, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Switch off the flame, add the banana and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
Image source: Getty Images (Image for representation only)
Video source: Tarla Dalal/YouTube
Published: March 15, 2016 11:19 am