Here’s a yummy buckwheat and sprouts khichdi that is light on the stomach and yet very filling and nourishing. Buckwheat can be an excellent gluten-free source of protein for vegans and those suffering from protein deficiency. It is also a rich source of rutin, which helps in increasing the proportion of good cholesterol in your body and thereby keeps of blood pressure in check. Sprouts are rich in fibre that can keep you full and keep cravings at bay. This khichdi has an irresistible aroma and can be cooked with spices of your choice. This mixed vegetable khichdi will also keep you satiated.
- 3/4 cup buckwheat (kutto/kutti no daro) washed and drained
- 3/4 cup mixed sprouts (chana, moong and matki)
- 1/2 cup yellow dal (split yellow gram), washed and drained
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 cloves (laung/lavang)
- 2 black peppercorns (kalimirch)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the cloves, peppercorns and cumin seeds,
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and saute on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the buckwheat and yellow moong dal and saute on a slow flame for a few more seconds.
- Add the mixed sprouts, turmeric powder, salt and 4 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Serve immediately with fresh curd or dahi.
Image for representation only
Image source: Getty Images
Video source: Tarla Dalal/Youtube
Published: February 12, 2016 8:23 am