Pongal or the harvest festival celebrated by Tamilians is just around the corner. But the festival is incomplete without food, and one essential dish that Tamilians make on this occasions of Pongal is a dish called ven pongal. This dish is a mixture of rice, moong dal, pepper, jeera and curry leaves (kadi patta). In addition this dish is seasoned with a tadka of ghee or butter.
In this video you will learn how to make this easy, quick and healthy dish.
1/2 cup rice
1/4 cup moong dal
1.5 table spoons of ghee
A little ginger
3/4 teaspoons of cumin seeds or jeera
3/4 teaspoons of pepper
3 cups of water
One tablespoon of oil
- Dry roast the rice and moong dal to heat it. Once it is warm remove it from the flame.
- In same pan take 3/4 teaspoons of black pepper and add 3/4 teaspoon of jeera, let this roast till it is light brown. Take it off the flame, let it cool and coarsely crush it.
- In another vessel boil some water and add a few roasted pepper corns and jeera to the water. Now add the rice and moong dal to it. Add some salt and a table spoon of oil to this. Mix it well, cover it and cook it. You can use a pressure cooker for this step too.
- One the rice and dal mixture is cooked, use your ladle to mash the mixture.
- In another pan add a spoon of ghee and once it is hot add the ginger and allow it to sauté. Add the curry leaves and the crushed jeera and pepper corns mixture. Let them sauté as well.
- Now add the tadka to the cooked rice and mix it well. You can even put some ghee on the pongal to add to the taste (this is an optional step).
Image source: Getty Images (for representation purposes only)
Published: January 14, 2015 7:56 pm