If you are bored with the regular khakhras, you can try this healthy khakhra with a twist. It can be a nutritious evening snack option and you can always opt them over those biscuits and cookies made of refined flour. These khakhras are enriched with iron-rich fenugreek leaves and calcium-rich sesame seeds. Low in calories, these khakhras are also rich in carbohydrates and it can also be a good idea to have them for your breakfast and kick start your day. You may also want to know the calories in your favourite dhokla, thepla, handvo and other Gujarati snacks.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- 3/4 cup chopped fenugreek (methi leaves)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (til)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp oil
- Whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling
- Salt to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into 175 mm (7″) diameter thin circle, using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a concave non-stick (tava) griddle and cook the khakhra on a low flame till pink spots appear on both the sides.
- Continue cooking the khakhra on a low flame, while pressing with a khakhra press or a folded muslin cloth till it turns crisp and golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Cool and serve or store in an air-tight container.
Image source: Shutterstock Images
Video source: Tarla Dalal/YouTube
Published: February 23, 2016 10:44 am | Updated:February 23, 2016 11:35 am