Sindhi kadhi is a popular North Indian dish which is rich in both flavour and taste. The dish is made nutritious with the predominant use of vegetables. It is prepared with pigeon pea, which is a good source of protein while the tomatoes and lady fingers are rich in antioxidants. Here’s the recipe.
- 3/4 cup pigeon pea split (tur dal)
- 5 medium tomatoes
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds(methi dana)
- A pinch of asafoetida (optional)
- 5 tbsp gram flour (besan)
- 10 ladyfingers (chop ends and slit)
- 5 green chillies (slit)
- 100 g cluster beans (gawar)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 10 curry leaves
- Wash and soak tur dal in two cups of water for about an hour and drain
- Cook in the pressure cooker with tomatoes and two cups of water for 10 minutes till done.
- Mash the dal well.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and asafoetida.
- Add besan and roast for a minute. Add three cups of water, a little at a time and keep stirring to avoid lumps.
- Add mashed tur dal to the kadhi. Add salt, red chilli powder, tamarind pulp and mix.
You may also want to try:
Image source: Shutterstock
Video source: Zee Khana Khazana Official Channel/YouTube
Published: July 16, 2015 12:00 pm