Winter has almost come to an end so gear up for the summers with this cooling raita. Bottle gourd or dodhi, onions, ginger and green chillies come together in this raita to create a unique taste. While bottle gourd is excellent to keep you hydrated while peanuts are a rich source of vitamin B3 and niacin which helps boost your memory. The yoghurt will up your protein intake. So indulge in this yummy raita in your lunch. You may also want to try this healthy pumpkin raita.
- 1 cup chopped bottle gourd (doodhi/lauki)
- 1/4 cup sliced onions
- 1/4 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1 cup fresh whisked curd (dahi)
- 3 tbsp roasted and coarsely crushed peanuts
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (rai/sarson)
- 7 to 8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- Salt to taste
- Combine the bottle gourd, onion, green chillies, ginger and 3/4 cup of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cover with a lid. Cook on a medium flame for 10 minutes or till all the water evaporates while stirring occasionally. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Transfer the mixture to a deep bowl, add the curd, peanut and salt, mix well and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the oil in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the curry leaves and saute on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Pour this tempering into the curd-bottle gourd mixture and mix well. Serve immediately.
Image for representation only
Image source: Getty Images
Video source: Tarla Dalal/YouTube
Published: February 19, 2016 12:17 pm