Rice and beans are an absolute staple in most Caribbean countries. This healthy version of rice is cooked with kidney beans and chicken stew, which makes it rich in both protein and fibre and is ideal for those on a weight loss diet. Enjoy this dish for lunch or dinner.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 white onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 cups soaked rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup kidney beans
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the onion, garlic cloves, thyme and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add soaked rice in the pan and mix well.
- Add the chicken stock, coconut milk, black pepper and salt.
- Then, add the kidney beans and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot.
You may also want to try:
Image & video source: Zee Khana Khazana Official Channel/YouTube
Published: June 22, 2015 9:24 am | Updated:August 28, 2015 9:39 pm