Palak shorba is a very delicious Indian soup, loaded with nutrients. It can be ideal for weight watchers as it is low in fat and free of calories. The soup is also very satisfying and can keep you feeling full for a long time, helping you to beat hunger pangs. Spinach is rich in nutrients like Vitamin C and iron, which improve metabolism, helping you burn calories at a faster rate. You can also try preparing this healthy baked vegetables with dumplings if you are on a weight loss plan.
- 2 bunches palak or spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 3 black cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 tsp ginger (chopped)
- 2 tbsp refined flour (maida)
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh cream
- Salt to taste
- Break the stems from the spinach leaves and blanch in plenty of water. Drain and refresh in cold water. Put the blanched spinach leaves in a blender and blend.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaves, cinnamon, black cardamoms, cloves, black peppercorns, cumin seeds and saute. Add onion and saute for sometime.
- Add ginger, garlic and refined flour and saute.
- Add spinach puree, water, salt and cook.
- Add garam masala powder and lemon juice. Mix and strain.
- Serve hot.
Video source: Zee Khana Khazana Official Channel/YouTube
Published: January 19, 2015 5:12 pm | Updated:March 20, 2015 6:12 pm