The festival of Holi is never complete without thandai. This is a healthier version of your favourite Holi drink with the addition of spices such as saffron, cardamom and cinnamon that can boost your immune system. The addition of almonds and pistachios makes this drink rich in omega 3 fatty acids that can improve your blood cholesterol levels and also prevent heart disease. Here is a healthy kheer recipe you can enjoy this Holi.
- 1 and 1/2 litres full cream milk
- 3/4 cups sugar
- Few strands saffron
- 10 green cardamoms
- 20 dried rose petals
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 10 black peppercorns
- 15 almonds(blanched and peeled)
- 40 pistachios(blanched and peeled)
- 10 cashew nuts
- 3 tbsp melon seeds, soaked
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds, soaked
- 2 tbsp khus syrup
- Boil milk in a thick bottomed pan. Add saffron and sugar and boil. Set aside to cool.
- Grind green cardamom, dried rose petals, cinnamon and black peppercorns to a fine powder. Add this powder to the milk and mix.
- Grind almonds, pistachios, cashew nuts, melon seeds along with one glassful of chilled milk to a smooth paste.
- Add it to the milk and mix thoroughly.
- Make a design on the inside of the serving glasses with mixed fruit jam.
- Pour some khus syrup into the glasses and fill them up with the prepared milk.
- Serve chilled.
Video & Image source: Zee Khana Khazana Official Channel/YouTube
Published: March 3, 2015 5:25 pm | Updated:March 20, 2015 6:12 pm