The festive month is here and like every year; this year also calls for some sweet treats in festivities like Baisakhi. Although sweets are laden with calories, you can enjoy a few sweet dishes like this low-calorie fig and cardamom delight. While figs are low in calories and loaded with iron and fibre, cardamom gives a fantastic flavour to this treat. Prepared with low-fat milk, this sweet delight is surely worth a try. The saffron or kesar added for garnish further enhances its taste. You may also want to try this delicious oil-free chole this Baisakhi.
- 8 dried figs (anjeer)
- 1/4 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
- 1/2 cup chopped agar-agar (china grass)
- 2 and 1/2 cups low-fat milk, 99.7% fat-free milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- For the garnish
- A few saffron strands (kesar)
- Soak the dried figs in 1/2 cup of water in a bowl for 1 hour.
- Blend the dried figs in a mixer (along with the water) to a smooth puree. Keep aside.
- Combine a 3/4th cup of water and agar-agar in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a slow flame for two minutes or till the agar-agar melts, while stirring continuously.
- Add the milk, sugar, cardamom powder and fig puree, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till the sugar dissolves completely. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Pour into 6 individual glasses/ bowls and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours or till it sets. Serve chilled, garnish with a few garnish strands.
Image source: Getty Images
Video source: Tarla Dalal/YouTube
Published: April 4, 2016 3:52 pm