April 7 is World Health Day and this year’s theme is Food Safety.
We are what we eat and consuming hygienic food is the first step to ensure that we are eating healthy. World Health Organisation shares five keys which can help ensure that the food we eat is safe. It is easy for foods to get contaminated if we do not store them well. Here are 8 foods that can easily be contaminated. But if we follow these five practices put forward by WHO, we can make sure that our food is safe. Here’s the list:
1. Keep clean to prevent contamination. This includes washing your hands before you cook.
2. Separate raw and cooked food to prevent cross-contamination. In this process, bacteria from one spoiled food item can contaminate the other foods too if they are all stored together.
3. Cook thoroughly to kill micro-organisms as they are unlikely to thrive at high temperatures.
4. Keep food at safe temperatures to prevent bacterial growth.
5. Use safe water and safe raw materials to avoid contamination. Here are 10 more tips to prevent food contamination.
Image source: Shutterstock
Video source: Bfaiz Mrpoov/YouTube
Published: April 7, 2015 12:08 pm | Updated:April 7, 2015 12:12 pm