Interventional cardiology News
Cardiology is a branch of medicine which deals with disorders of the heart. Interventional cardiology deals specifically with the treatment of structural heart diseases through insertion of catheter.
Cardiac catheters are thin tube-like devices that are inserted in the blood vessels to diagnose a heart disease or perform a surgical procedure of the heart. They can help identify blockages, narrowing, thrombosis or enlargement of the heart arteries. They allow access to surgical instruments and placement of devices. Interventional procedures help avoid scars and pain. The post-operative recovery time is reduced too.
- Deployment of stents and balloons
- Percutaneous coronary intervention (coronary angioplasty) – to treat narrowed arteries of the heart in coronary heart disease
- Coronary thrombectomy – to remove blood clot from the arteries of the heart
- Valvuloplasty – for dilation of narrowed heart valves
- Correction of congenital heart defects like septal defects, patent ductus arteriosus, etc.
- Replacement or repair of heart valve