- Health A-Z
- Diet & Fitness
- MY MONEY
- Home Remedies
- Web Stories
Two people were charred to death and many were injured in a fire that broke out in the slums of Kandivali in Mumbai. The fire also triggered a series of cylinder blasts in the area destroying nearly 1000 homes. According to reports, cylinders were stored illegally in the godown which led to the blasts. The incident occurred at Damu Nagar slums near Mahindra and Mahindra company's gate number 5 at Akurli road in Kandivali east. The blaze was reported around 12.30 pm and 16 fire engines, 12 water tankers and five fire brigade officials were sent to the spot immediately.
Among the people that were injured, few of them sustained minor injuries, while one person is battling for life with30% burns.
LPG cylinders are commonly used in households for cooking but if these cylinders are not checked for leaks regularly they can cause severe damage to one's health and property. Defective rubber tubes, faulty regulator fitting and poor handling of appliances like gas stoves are the major reasons for a gas leak. This gas leak can harm you in either of the two ways--first, you either inhale the leaked gas which can cause breathing difficulties and hypoxia which can lead to suffocation . Secondly, the gas is stored under a lot of pressure and is highly flammable. So in case, there is a some type of an ignition, it might lead to explosion causing severe burns, multiple injuries and even death.
Here's what you should do in case of a gas leak--
1. If you suspect a gas leak , extinguish all flames including incense sticks.
2. Switch off the LPG regulator and put the safety cap on the cylinder.
3. Do not light matches or a lighter.
4. Open all the doors and windows and to let the gas out.
5. Call your gas supplier. Read more about what to do in case of an LPG gas leak.
In case a fire breaks out and someone sustains burn injuries, there are a few first aid steps you can take which can either offer some relief from the pain or prevent the conditioning from worsening. Burns are of different types and each type is treated differently. However, there here's what you should do immediately--
1. If the burn is caused by direct heat, it can be cooled under tap water. Remember, never use an ice on a burn injury as it can worsen the burn due sudden cooling.
2 2nd degree burns develop blisters and can be soaked in water for around 15 minutes. Dry gently, do not wipe or break blisters immediately as it might lead to an infection.
3. Do not tie the burns, cover them loosely with thin cloths or bandages to prevent infections. Read more about other first aid tips for treating burn injuries.
Image source: Getty Images
Follow us on