- Health A-Z
- Health Summit 2021
- Diet & Fitness
- Home Remedies
A child has died due to the deadly mosquito-borne disease Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) in Bihar's Muzaffarpur district - the first in the state this year, an official said on Saturday.
What is acute encephalitis syndrome?
Acute encephalitis syndrome is a group of conditions of that mainly affect the brain and is caused by a wide range of viruses, bacteria, fungi, spirochetes, parasites, chemicals and toxins. It is a condition where the outer covering of the brain gets inflamed due to an infection, and exerts undue pressure on the brain leading to symptoms like headaches, fever, confusion, dizziness and in some cases may lead to permanent brain damage and coma, convulsions, seizures and hallucinations.
'So far one child has died at the Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital due to AES in the district,' said Muzaffarpur civil surgeon Gayan Bhusan. According to him, three children have been admitted in the hospital with AES symptoms. The AES is a severe case of encephalitis characterised by inflammation of the brain. Mosquitoes transmit the infection causing high fever among children. 'Every year, encephalitis hits Muzaffarpur and other neighbouring districts in May or June. But this year it seems to have hit a little early,' a health department official here said. In the last few years, hundreds of children have died due to this disease, mainly in Muzaffarpur and Gaya districts.
Know more about types, causes, symptoms and treatment for encephalitis.
You may also like to read:
With inputs from IANS
Image source: Getty Images
For more articles on diseases & conditions, visit our diseases & conditions section. For daily free health tips, sign up for our newsletter.
Join us on