- Health A-Z
- Health Summit 2021
- Diet & Fitness
- Home Remedies
At least 79 cases of chikungunya and 24 cases of dengue have been reported in Delhi just three months since January 1, the South Delhi Municipal Corporation has said. These cases were reported though the season for vector borne diseases in Delhi is between July and December. According to the data, 4,431 cases of dengue were reported in 2016 and the number of chikungunya cases stood at 9,749 -- one of the worst outbreak for the disease till now. According to the SDMC, eight of the 79 chikungunya cases were reported in April, while 34 were diagnosed in March. "Twenty cases were detected in January and 13 in February," said an official of the civic body. Of the total, four cases could not be accounted for. At least six cases of dengue were reported in January, four in February, 11 in March and three in April, it said.
Here's how you can protect your family from these deadly disease:
1. The next time you take your kids to play outdoors or go for a brisk walk in the park, do not forget to apply mosquito repellent creams. And don t do it just in the evenings. Mosquitoes can bite in the morning too. So make sure you do not step out of your home without applying a mosquito repellent cream.
2. It is always better to be safe than to be sorry and the same rule applies to mosquitoes. Making few changes to your dressing style can go a long way in preventing you from a mosquito bite. This includes wearing light-coloured clothes over dark coloured ones and opting for long sleeves and full-length dresses than short or sleeveless ones. These ensure less exposure of the skin to mosquitoes and thus reduces the chances of a mosquito bite.
3. Mosquitoes can enter your home at any time of the day and hide behind the doors, curtains and potted plants before they attack you. However, you can lower the risk of mosquito bite by using chemical mosquito repellents. Mosquitoes attack a person because of the sweat they emit. But mosquito repellents contain DEET, a chemical that covers the natural odour and hence, prevents you from a mosquito bite. Read to know about innovative ways to keep your home mosquito-free.
4. One more precautionary measure that you can take to keep mosquitoes from entering your home is to install window screens and door mesh. In addition to this, make sure you close the windows and doors in the evening, as this is the time when mosquitoes enter the house. Also, do not keep the doors open doors early in the morning as there are chances that mosquitoes might enter your house then.
5. Make sure that water is not stagnating in your surrounding areas or in unused tyres, water containers, potted plants, AC trays, pot holes, flower vases or water tanks. Always cover the water storing containers and clean the containers from time to time. Also, turn over empty buckets when not in use. Here are 5 good habits that help fight dengue and chikungunya.
Knowing about the symptoms of dengue and chikungunya can help you diagnose the condition and get treated. While chikungunya symptoms include severe joint pain and muscle stiffness along with fever and nausea, dengue manifests as skin rash, severe headache, pain behind the eyes among others.With a few blood tests, doctors can detect if you suffer from dengue or chikungunya and start with the treatment. Timely diagnosis and early treatment can save your life.
Image source: Shutterstock
Join us on