- Health A-Z
- Diet & Fitness
- Home Remedies
- Web Stories
Read this in Hindi.
On lazy weekends, when you feel too tired to get up from the bed, the thought of breaking the daily ritual and skipping bath occurs invariably, isn't it? Well, you should know that bathing doesn't just keep you fresh and smelling good, but also serves to keep you fit and healthy. Here;s how:
1. Reduces muscle tension: A simple warm bath can help you to reduce the number of trips to a physiotherapist. Bathing reduces tension on overstretched muscles. It helps to heal sore muscles by relaxing them and improves flexibility or elasticity of muscles, especially when you bathe after exercising. Here are some expert tips to get rid of post-workout muscle soreness.
2. Improves blood circulation : Immersing yourself in a tub filled with water increases blood circulation to the limbs and helps in nourishment of damaged cells at the extremities. With increased blood circulation, the blood pressure reduces and the heart function also improves.
3. Reduces sugar levels: According to a study led by Dr. Philip L. Hooper from the McKee Medical Center in Loveland, Colorado, diabetics who immersed themselves in a hot water tub for about 20-30 minutes (for 3 weeks) had lowered blood sugar levels (by 13 %). One of the study participants reduced his daily insulin dose by about 18 percent after 10 days of hot-tub therapy. Also try these 10 ways to control diabetes naturally
4. Boosts the immune system: Not just warm water bath but a cold shower can also benefit you a lot. A study showed that taking a cold shower regularly can stimulate the vascular and lymph system to produce more number of immune cells that fight infections. This can decrease your chances of falling sick over the year. Here's a list of immune-boosting foods.
5. Treats depression: If you're prone to depression then a cold water bath can help you tremendously. A study by Shevchuk NA showed that exposure to cold water results in activation of the nervous system. It increases the level of the chemicals beta-endorphin and noradrenaline in the blood which reduces depression. A cold shower also sends electrical impulses from the brain which causes an anti-depressive effect.
7. Impacts reproductive health in men: Want to improve libido? Take a cold shower daily. A study by Thrombosis Research Institute Cold showed that the levels of male hormone testosterone increased greatly in men who took cold showers.
Men who take hot water bath can benefit in a different way. Hot water bath is like the cheapest contraceptive you can get. A study showed that men who took hot bath every day had lowered sperm count. That's because sperm production and motility decreases with the testes is exposed to increased temperatures. Nothing to worry about, your sperm count will restore once you stop taking bath with hot water.
6. Helps to reduce stress: You can actually get rid of all your worries and tension by taking a bath. A study conducted in Japan showed that the levels of stress markers (cortisol and chromogranin) reduced significantly in people who took a bath after 60 minutes.
8. Removes toxins: No matterhow much deodorant you spray on yourself, if you go out without taking a bath you will stink. If you sweat a lot, then you should never skip a bath. Sweating is a means by which the body eliminate toxins. With daily bath your perspiration odor will be reduced greatly. Warm water bath not only drains out all the toxins but also kills bacteria and viruses, which will also decrease the number infections you may suffer throughout the year. Also try this simple diet plan for removal of internal toxins.
9. Induces sleep: Bathing before going to sleep has been proven to induce sleep. In some people it has shown to improve the quality of sleep while in others it has also cured insomnia. Try these 10 tips for a better sleep.
10. Improves lung function: With every mug of cold water that you pour on your head while bathing, an automatic reflex action is set in. It forces you to breathe deeply with a quick pause. When cold water hits you, you instantly tend to hold your breath for couple of seconds followed by deep exhalation. This opens up the lungs and increases the uptake of oxygen.
11. You'll look beautiful: Bathing with warm or cold water is like a natural cleansing process. It opens up pores, removes toxins and leaving your skin smooth and soft. Bathing with salt water can even reduce signs of aging.
1. Jerrold Petrofsky and colleagues. The Influence Of Warm Hydrotherapy On The Cardiovascular System And Muscle Relaxation
2. Jansk L and colleagues. Immune system of cold-exposed and cold-adapted humans.
3. Shevchuk NA. Adapted cold shower as a potential treatment for depression.
4. Brett and Kater McKay. The James Bond Shower: A shot of cold water for health and vitality.
5. Hot tub therapy for Diabetics. (http://www.cbsnews.com/)
Here are or top 5 related articles:
Follow us on