Is it normal to have fever during periods? (query)

Expert answers whether it is normal to have fever during menses.

Written By Sandhya Raghavan | Published : November 10, 2017 3:21 PM IST

Dear Doctor,

I am a 23-year-old PG student living in Mumbai. My periods are usually on time and I rarely have any discomfort during those four days. But my last four periods have been awful. I have noticed something odd during my periods. Every month, I get fever with my menses, which is really confusing me. Although the temperature is not too high (99 F during my last periods) and I have no cramps or pain with it, I am a little worried about it. I have normal health and no underlying problems that I know of. What could be the reason why I have fever during periods?


This query has been answered by Dr Veena Aurangabadwala, Gynaecologist, Zen Multispeciality Hospital, Chembur.

Also Read

More News

A female body goes through a lot of changes every month, to prepare itself for pregnancy. When the eggs that are released during ovulation doesn't get fertilised, we get our periods. And during this time, a hormone-like substance named prostaglandin, which is involved in a lot of reproductive processes, is secreted by the body. It mainly helps your uterus contract and shed the endometrial lining every month when the fertilisation doesn't happen. Here are 8 signs that your periods are abnormal.


Elevated levels of prostaglandin can sometimes cause a low-grade feverish feeling. This is because prostaglandin is a hyperthermic agent, which means it can increase your body temperature and cause a fever. So there is nothing to be worried about since a slight increase in body temperature during periods is considered normal. However, there are cases when fever during periods shouldn't be taken lightly.

If the fever is high grade (103 F or higher), it warrants medical attention. If you have other symptoms like nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain accompanying the fever, it could be a sign of pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis or toxic shock syndrome associated with tampon use. In any of these three cases, it is important to go to gynaecologist.

Image source: Shutterstock