Don’t Miss Out on the Latest Updates.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter Today!
- Health A-Z
- Diet & Fitness
- Home remedies
- Web Stories
- Women's Health
With age or an inactive lifestyle, knees tend to become achy and tight. 'Experience swelling and a popping sound when you sit or stand is a sign of knee problem. Also, cartilage injury or damaged hips coupled with weak feet or obesity can further add pressure on the knees, increasing your risk of knee pain.While the younger generation considers these signs as a minor structural misalignment, over years it might be the key reason behind arthritis or other knee-related ailments,' says Dr Avtar Singh, Chief Orthopaedic Surgeon , Bone & Joint Replacement Specialist, Amandeep Hospital. Hence, it is important to take care of the knees right from a young age to prevent knee pain down the years.
Here are few key expert tips to maintain healthy knees.
1. Go for a brisk walk: Including a brisk walk in your exercise routine can help you to keep your knees healthy and fit. You don't have to spend hours at a stretch, just running for 15 minutes every day or brisk walking helps you to keep the knees lubricated, thus helping you to run smoothly. There is no fixed schedule to go for a walk, be it morning or evening, find a time that suits you and follow the routine regularly without fail. Moreover, it also helps you to keep your weight under control. Here is the right way to walk and lose weight.
2. Apply a thermal wrap before working out: Before you workout or probably decide to go for a run, apply a thermal wrap around your knees for at least 20-25 minutes. This is because it will help your knees loosen up, as unlike other heating gels, the heat will reach deep down the joints and boost circulation around your knees.
3. Soothe inflammation with ice-packs: If you feel pain or notice an inflammation or swelling around the knees, then ice packs is the best remedy. All you need to do is relax your knee by applying an ice pack after a workout as it will not just benefit in easing the pain but will also decrease muscle spasms. Here's more on RICE therapy for injuries.
4. Stretch your legs every few hours: If you have a desk job, then sitting for long exerts pressure on the knees, which puts you at risk of knee pain at later stage. To deal with it, make sure you stretch your legs every few hours to ease the strain on the knees. Here are simple stretches to prevent knee pain, neck pain and wrist pain.
1. Do not overexert: Never overdo any exercise during the initial days, as that will exhaust you and make you quit the gym or exercise routine even before you start seeing the results. Right from choosing the wrong equipment or doing the exercise without a trainer's help will affect your knees and legs in the long run. If you are new to gym workouts? Follow these three tips to prevent knee injury.
2. Do not miss supplements: Most people do not follow the doctor's prescriptions of taking supplements to maintain their bone health. Keep in mind that as you age, your bone's ability to function also slows down. And to keep your bones healthy and strong, meeting your daily dose of calcium and other essential nutrients is a must. It can be either through diet or by taking calcium supplements or multivitamins.
3. Do not eat calcium-rich foods only: Yes, calcium is an essential mineral needed to maintain your bone health, but there are other minerals and vitamins which help in preventing joint pain. Lack of vitamin C, D and K in diet can increase your risk of knee pain. As vitamin D is needed for absorption of calcium in the body and vitamin K and C aids in the production of bone cartilage and tissue, ensure you meet your daily recommended dose of these vitamins as well in addition to calcium.
4. Do not choose the wrong exercises: If you have weak bones, then running, jogging and jumping rope is a strict no-no. Also, avoid running on a concrete road or pavement as it can damage the knees due to the pressure exerted on the legs while running. You can try swimming and cycling to keep the body active, muscles flexible and prevent knee pain. In addition to these, you can try climbing stairs, dancing, low-impact aerobics and even gardening to be fit and active. Also, read about tips to protect your joints while running
Taking good care of yourself is in your hands. It is a must that you stay fit, flexible and on your feet.
Image Source: Shutterstock