How to prevent Urinary Tract Infections?
Urinary incontinence can make your life super difficult. Any kind of sensation like a burning one or say a cloudy urine could make you feel uncomfortable and rather unhygienic. But more than this discomfort, these could be really painful. Yes, we are referring to urinary tract infections. Urinary tract infection or UTI is defined as an infection of the lining of the urinary bladder and urethra.
"An infection which is found in any part of the urinary system, say your kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra, is called a Urinary Tract Infection. Incidence of infection in females increases directly with sexual activity and child-bearing. 25-30 per cent of women between the age group of 20-40 years, do get UTIs," says Dr Areef Tamboli, Associate Consultant, Department of Urology, SL Raheja Hospital, Mahim.
However, there are certain ways to prevent UTIs. Here are 5 of them:
- Self-hygiene: "Always wipe from the front to the back after using the bathroom. Do not try to reach from behind because germs from the rectum can be transferred to the hand and tissue. After bowel movements, clean the area around the anus gently, wiping from front to back. Try to empty your bladder every 4 hours during the day, even if the need or urge to void is absent. Take special precautions after sexual activity, such activities may also increase the risk of infection because it can introduce the bacteria into the bladder area. The bladder should be emptied after intercourse," said Dr Tamboli.
- Keep yourself hydrated: Start with 1 extra glass of water after each meal. If the urine appears any darker than a very pale yellow, this means not enough liquid is being ingested in your body. Therefore, increase the fluid intake.
- Have curds: Yes, having a bowl of curd a day can kick away most of your health issues. UTIs are caused due to the increased bacterial growth in the urogenital region. Therefore, consuming any anything that can ease the load of bacteria in the region is a great option. Curd is a natural probiotic and also contains natural antibiotics that can help you to prevent UTIs.
- Lemon juice: This wonder fruit is a must-have in your daily diet. Lemon is rich in vitamin C which is a potent antioxidant that alkalizes the body. Simply put, lemon juice helps inhibit bacterial growth. Hence, having it regularly will keep UTIs at bay.
- Cranberry juice: Every expert that you consult with any urinary incontinence will recommend you to have this juice. This is so because cranberry juice contains antioxidants and other compounds that prevent bacteria from sticking to the walls of the urinary bladder. Not only this, but drinking this juice flushes out the bacteria from your body, thereby giving you a relief from the symptoms of UTI. It also prevents you from getting recurrent infections. Various experts believe that having cranberry juice regularly cuts down the risk of getting UTI.
Total Wellness is now just a click away.
Follow us on