Advertisement

Fight depression with turmeric (haldi)!

Did you know

Turmeric powder or haldi is used in Indian cooking very often, whether it is for adding colour or flavour. However, along with the other health benefits of using turmeric like healing physical wounds and lowering cholesterol, among others, did you know that turmeric can also help in healing your emotional wounds or depression?

Curcumin, a substance in turmeric, has been found to act as an anti-depressant in a study by researchers from Nanjing University in China [1]. Nearly 30% of depressed people on anti-depressant medication don t respond to existing drug therapies and the remaining 70% fail to achieve complete remission despite undergoing treatment for years on end [2]. This is why researchers have been extensively studying this alternative form of remedy for depression that has no side effects and is available in every Indian kitchen.

A dose of 10-80 mg of curcumin increases serotonin as well as dopamine levels in the brain [2]. An imbalance in serotonin levels influences the mood, which can eventually lead to depression, while dopamine is a neurotransmitter that helps control the brain s reward and pleasure centers. A study conducted by researchers in University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chandigarh [3] found that the co-administration of turmeric and black pepper can make a useful and potent natural anti-depressant. Here are seven reasons to add haldi or turmeric milk to your diet.

Also Read

More News

Image Source: Shutterstock


References:

1. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2009 Apr 30; Epub 2009 Jan 22. Antidepressant-like effects of curcumin on serotonergic receptor-coupled AC-cAMP pathway in chronic unpredictable mild stress of rats. Li YC, Wang FM, Pan Y, Qiang LQ, Cheng G, Zhang WY, Kong LD.

2.ScientificWorldJournal. 2009 Nov 1;9:1233-41. Potentials of curcumin as an antidepressant. Kulkarni S(1), Dhir A, Akula KK. 3. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2008 Dec; Epub 2008 Sep 3. Antidepressant activity of curcumin: involvement of serotonin and dopamine system. Kulkarni SK(1), Bhutani MK, Bishnoi M.

3. Kulkarni SK, Dhir A. An Overview of Curcumin in Neurological Disorders.Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2010;

Stay Tuned to TheHealthSite for the latest scoop updates

Join us on