A study by researchers from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) found that walnuts are very useful in reducing the risk of depression. Published in the journal Nutrients, the research says that there is a 26 per cent lower chance of suffering from depression if you consume walnuts regularly. Walnuts also give you higher energy levels better concentration and greater optimism, according to the study. The study noted that the benefits of walnuts were mainly due to the presence of a unique fatty acid, mostly polyunsaturated fats, including omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid. Here are some healthy recipes with walnuts.
- 4 large ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup of oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup coarsely powdered oats
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of walnuts, crushed
- Preheat oven to 160° Celcius. Line a 24 cup mini muffin pan.
- Mix the bananas, oil, egg and vanilla until the mixture is mostly smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients except for the nuts well.
- Gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Fold in walnuts while adding them.
- Fill the muffin cases. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove and cool on a cooling rack.
Walnut, garlic and tomato soup
2 cloves garlic
½ tsp cinnamon powder
½ tsp coarsely grounded pepper
4 full walnuts
Chop all vegetables and add water, garlic, walnuts and boil.
Grind and sieve.
In the same water add pepper, cinnamon and boil before serving.
By Naini Setalvad
- 80 gm Oats
• 40 gm Plain Yoghurt
• 20 gm Banana chopped
• 15 gm Raisin chopped
• 10 gm Walnut chopped
• 10 gm Almonds chopped
• 30 ml Honey
• 100 ml Orange juice
• Mix oats, apple, yoghurt, banana, raisins, walnuts, almonds, honey, and orange juice together in a bowl. Chill in chiller or fridge for at least 1 hour to set.
By Chef Lokesh Jarodia, Novotel Imagica Khopoli
Walnuts, pear, pomegranate salad
1 pear, sliced
1/4 cup pomegranate
14 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
For the salad dressing
1 tbsp virgin olive oil
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp honey
For the salad, add the avocado to a bowl and layer the remaining ingredients on top.
For the dressing, add all the ingredients in a medium-sized jar. Tightly close the lid and shake until thoroughly mixed.
Drizzle this salad dressing over the salad. Toss to combine.
By Radhika Karle
1 cup walnuts
1 cup puffed amaranth
1 cup chopped fresh plums (deseeded)
1 tsp fresh ground cinnamon powder
1 tsp honey
½ cup boiling water
Toast the walnuts for a few minutes in a hot dry pan.
Mix the plums and cinnamon together.
Put the walnuts and spiced plums into a blender. Blend on low until the walnuts are coarsely ground and mixed well with the plums.
Mix honey in 1/2 cup hot water.
Mix the puffed amaranth into the walnut and plum paste.
Add honey mixture and continue mixing until blended well.
Smoothen out the mixture onto a lined baking sheet till about 0.5-1 centimetres thick.
Apply some pressure to ensure that an evenly thick sheet is formed of the mixture. Refrigerate overnight.
Slice into 1”x3” bars and store in airtight container or keep refrigerated.
By Radhika Karle