Post new year celebration the air quality in Delhi and its suburban areas is severely toxic, and has almost reached up to the ‘severe-plus or emergency’ levels. What will add up to the pollution level is the lower mixing height where effluents mix with air, fog and slow wind speed in the region, says the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB). The humidity has gone up and effluents have mixed well in the air leading to the rise in the pollution levels. With the rise in the levels of pollution, there are chances that the number of people with asthma and COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) will rise drastically. Consisting of fine particles, gases like carbon dioxide (CO2), nitrogen oxides (NO2), and ground-level ozone, carbon monoxide (CO), sulphur dioxide (SO2) and other harmful pollutants, the rise in air pollution can aggravate respiratory health ailments big time. We spoke to Dr Amita Nene, Pulmonologist, about what are the things or signs one should watch out for, in the areas with risen pollution levels. Here are a few highlights of what she said.
1. If you have chronic respiratory conditions like Asthma, COPD, Lung fibrosis, immediately reach out a pulmonologist if you have a fever or infection. Do not delay and take it lightly especially if you live in areas with high pollution levels.
2. Make sure to check the colour of your sputum regular. Positively visit a pulmonologist or a chest specialist if you see your sputum colour turning yellow, green or cream in colour.
3. Apart from the colour, also check the quality of your cough and its consistency. If you find any difference in the quality or persistence, immediately visit a doctor.
4. If you see that your breathlessness has worsened, do not waste time an visit your doctor immediately before the matter goes out of hand.
5. Make sure to stay away from the things that aggravate your respiratory issues like incense sticks, mosquito coils, etc.
Here’s a video of Dr Amita Nene explaining the signs that you should watch out for if you have a chronic respiratory ailment.
Published: January 2, 2018 11:35 am | Updated:January 2, 2018 11:43 am