Here’s a delicious and nutritious traditional Indian paratha prepared with wheat flour (gehun) and low-fat cottage cheese (paneer). The high content of calcium in wheat flour and protein in low-fat cottage cheese makes this a very nutrient dense recipe. So try it out the next time for your breakfast. You may also want to try this honey flavoured paratha and peas laccha paratha.
- 3/4th cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- 1 tsp oil
- Whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling
- Salt to taste
To be mixed together into onion and paneer and onion stuffing:
- 1 cup grated low-fat paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- Salt to taste
- Combine the wheat flour, oil and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough and the stuffing into four equal portions and keep aside.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 100mm diameter circle using a little wheat flour for rolling.
- Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre, fold the edges towards the centre and press well so that the stuffing doesn’t spill out.
- Roll it again into 125 mm diameter circle using a little wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the paratha, using 1/4th tsp of oil, till golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat steps 4 to 7 to make 3 more parathas.
- Serve hot with green chutney.
Image source: Getty Images
Video source: Tarla Dalal/YouTube
Published: February 4, 2016 6:32 pm