This fish curry is cooked in traditional Kerala style using coconut oil and curry leaves. Cooking in coconut oil is healthy as the oil aids in the smooth running of the digestive system. Being low is sodium and potassium, coconut oil is excellent for people with high blood pressure. Fish is also packed with vitamins A, B and D as well as calcium, iron, phosphorus and selenium. It contains omega-3 fatty acids that help your brain work better and improve your memory.
- 900 g fish
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 20 curry leaves
- 12 shallots (thinly sliced)
- 1 inch ginger (chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 3 kodumpulli (shredded and soaked)
- 4 tsp red chilli powder (mixed with water to a paste)
- Sprinkle salt and a little turmeric powder over the fish pieces.
- Heat oil and mustard seeds and when they splutter, add curry leaves and shallots and saute till lightly browned.
- Add ginger and garlic and continue to saute. Crush the fenugreek seeds slightly and add. Saute for 1 minute and add the fish pieces and mix.
- Add the kodumpulli pieces along with water and mix.
- Mix the remaining turmeric powder and red chilli powder in a little water and add it to the fish. Adjust the salt and cover. Cook on medium heat till the fish is properly cooked.
- Serve hot.
Image source: Getty Images
Video source: Zee Khana Khazana Official Channel/YouTube
Published: January 7, 2015 4:59 pm