With increasing acceptability of western culture and tradition, traditional eating habits of Indians have also changed. In addition to this, the common misconception that Indian dishes are unhealthy due to their high carbohydrate and fat content is leading to this shift from idli and poha to oats and salads. But what most people are unaware of is that there are numerous Indian dishes that are healthy, tasty and stomach-filling along with being a perfect fit to your weight management goals. The khichdi is one such dish. Here are top Indian superfoods with amazing health benefits.
This khichdi prepared with moong dal, cabbage and rice is a perfect dish to enjoy for lunch and dinner. In addition to being low in calories and healthy in nature, this rice recipe is easily digestible. One katori (150 g) of dal khichdi provides only 90 calories, so the next time you choose to eat healthy and low-calorie food, opt for this cabbage moong dal khichdi. Also, try this light yet filling brown rice khichdi for dinner.
- ½ finely chopped cabbage
- 2 tbsp green moong dal (split green gram) washed and drained
- 2 tbsp rice chawal (washed and drained)
- ½ tsp ghee
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- A pinch of turmeric powder (haldi)
- Restricted quantity of salt (optional)
The method of preparation:
- Combine the rice, moong dal and one cup of water in a pressure cooker. Mix well and pressure cook for three whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 5 seconds.
- Add the cabbage and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till the cabbage turns soft.
- Add the cooked dal-rice mixture, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for a minute.
- Cook lightly and serve lukewarm.
Image source: Shutterstock Images
Video source: Tarla Dalal/YouTube
Published: February 21, 2017 1:49 pm