Managing diabetes can be a daunting task. Diabetic individuals are constantly in need of advice and accurate information related to dietary and lifestyle changes along with in general living with diabetes. Living in the age of technology, this constant need of diabetics can be now easily met through various smart phone applications. Here are top 5 apps that every diabetic should try. They are free of cost and are available to both Android and iPhone users.
1. Glucose Buddy: As per the description of the app, it is ranked as the number one iPhone application for diabetes by Manny Hernandez, Founder of TuDiabetes.com. It allows the user to enter and store specific information like blood glucose level, carbohydrates, insulin dosage, blood pressure and weight. It also has a reminder for checking glucose levels and other tests.
2. Glucowiz Lite: This app is designed by an American endocrinologist with 20 years of experience. Apart from tracking weight, blood pressure, blood glucose, carbohydrate count and other stuff found in other apps, this app also identifies the relationship between the variables and gives the user appropriate recommendations for discussion with the doctor. It also has the ability to analyse the data entered by users. For example, if you have entered your BP high in range, it will suggest you to necessary changes you need to make.
3. Fooducate: Although this app is not primarily designed for the diabetic population, it can be very useful for planning out diet. It offers detailed nutritional information about various foods. It can tell you which foods are rich in simple and complex sugars. And it also suggests healthier options to the users based on their requirements.
4. Diabetic Audio Recipies Lite: This is an interesting app if you’re a foodie and you love cooking. It offers a collection of healthy recipes with low sugar and fat, which all diabetic individuals can eat. It has the option of listening to the audio that can allow the users to cook the dish simultaneously while listening to the audio of the recipe.
5. Diabetic Connect: This app allows the user to connect to a pool of diabetic individuals and share their concerns. It offers different topics like the ones you must have seen in online forums. A few topics listed in their app description include type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, diet and motivation.
You may also like to read:
For more on diabetes, check out our Diabetes section. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest updates! For daily free health tips, sign up for our newsletter. And to join discussions on health topics of your choice, visit our forum.
Published: June 12, 2014 10:52 am | Updated:September 23, 2014 4:07 pm