Encephalitis is a disease that results in inflammation of the brain. The patient’s central nervous system is affected. While the lesser symptoms include headaches and fevers, the more severe ones cause the onset of mental issues like seizures, confusion, disorientation, tremors and hallucinations. It can be caused due to bacterial or viral infections of the brain, injection of toxic substances or increased complications of an infectious disease.
- Shraddha Rupavate
July 23, 2014 at 06:29pm
The 'Encephalitis death toll' is rising day by day in India. Find out why is it prevailing in India and what can be done to lower its outreach.
- Nirmalya Dutta
December 31, 2012 at 09:06am
Diseases in 2012 followed a similar trend to previous years. India plays host to several seasonal ones like dengue, fever, malaria, tuberculosis and
Ask an expert
- Latest Encephalitis News: West Bengal death toll reaches 212
As of Wednesday, encephalitis death toll in northern West Bengal reached 212, of which 44 died due to Japanese encephalitis. According to B.R.
- Latest Encephalitis News: West Bengal faces shortage of specialists
As encephalitis continues to take more and more lives in West Bengal, another issue now becomes evident. West Bengal is facing extreme shortage of
- Latest Encephalitis News: West Bengal reports two more deaths
While the world is worrying about Ebola outbreak, West Bengal is still battling encephalitis. In the last 24 hours, two new deaths due to acute
- Latest Encephalitis News: Kolkata at lesser risk of encephalitis
As North Bengal currently deals with the deadly Japanese encephalitis, senior doctor at the Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine confirmed that
- Latest Encephalitis News: West Bengal reports another death due to encephalitis
In the last 24 hours, another death due to Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) has been reported in West Bengal while districts in North Bengal have
- Latest Encephalitis News: West Bengal police organise encephalitis awareness campaign
Police in association with health department organised a campaign to spread awareness about Japanese Encephalitis among people in disease-hit West
- West Bengal Encephalitis Update: Toll crosses 200 in north Bengal
The encephalitis outbreak in north Bengal has claimed two more lives in the last 24 hours while the death toll for this year has crossed 200, an
- Bengal Encephalitis Outbreak: Medical college principal suspended
The West Bengal government Monday suspended the principal of the North Bengal Medical College and Hospital for his alleged negligence in connection