Almost every man's dream is to have a long-lasting erection in bed. However, did you know that there are various factors behind why you might be facing difficulties in maintaining an erection? Read these 12 factors that could affect your performance in bed and even cause erectile dysfunction.
Getting way too adventurous in bed – While trying out new positions can be exciting for you and your partner, make sure not to push your limits, because penile fractures are a fairly common phenomena which is not only extremely painful, but can also cause erectile dysfunction. In fact, there are over 1,600 cases of penile fracture recorded in medical journals , so think twice before trying out unusual antics in bed.
Soy – Consuming large quantities of soy-based products can decrease your libido and cause erectile dysfunction because it contains isoflavones or compounds that resemble the human estrogen. Research has found that men whose diet mainly consists of soy had decreased testosterone levels . If you are working out and want to increase your proteins intake, consciously restrict your soy intake and switch to other sources.
Anabolic steroids are commonly used by body builders and those aspiring to build a muscular physique. However, your obsession for the perfect body is only going to adversely affect your erection. A study found that though body builders on steroids had higher orgasmic frequency, they also had a much higher incidence of erectile difficulties as compared to those who didn’t use anabolic steroids .
Stress and anxiety can take a severe toll on your sex life as it can prevent you from achieving longer erections and also cause erectile dysfunction. If that is the case, don’t hesitate to sign up for a stress management workshop, as research shows that it is effective in dealing with stress and reduces the levels of cortisol or stress hormones .
Negative body image – Men who have a low self image and are constantly struggling with how they look have been found to experience some level of erectile dysfunction or difficulty in maintain an erection. Researchers from University of Southern California found that military men below 40 years old who had a low self-image also struggled to perform in bed due to sexual anxiety .
Anti depressants are known to cause sexual dysfunctions like difficulty to orgasm or ejaculate other than taking longer to get an erection.In fact, nearly 30-40% of patients on anti depressants can develop some degree of sexual dysfunction .
Too much junk food – Binge eating and not having a well-balanced diet will eventually lead to weight gain. Overweight men have lower levels of testosterone, which is the hormone responsible for stronger erections and sexual desire, and hence have more difficulty in performing in bed.
Sugar – Dr Rajan Bhonsle, Honorary Professor & HOD, department of sexual medicine at KEM hospital, Mumbai says that while non-diabetic people’s sex life isn’t affected by sugar, diabetics need to avoid it as nearly 55% of them suffer from erectile dysfunction while the other 45% experience difficulty in getting an erection.
Erratic sleeping patterns affect almost every aspect of one's health, which means also one's sex life. 'If you aren't getting adequate sleep due to your daily routine, you are at a high risk of suffering from erectile dysfunction or will experience difficulty in getting an erection,' says Dr Bhonsle.
Issues in a relationship – Men also find it difficult to get physically intimate with their partner after a conflict or major strain occurs in the relationship. This is because the stress caused by anger, depression and constant fights can be the factors that could lead to erectile dysfunction or difficulty in getting an erection.
High blood pressure medication - Practically most good blood pressure medications affect men's libido and thus, erectile ability also gets affected to a great extent. 'With the high stress levels youngsters face now-a-days, most men above 35 suffer from high BP. In fact, 9/10 of my patients who complain about ED are on these medications,' says Dr Bhonsle.
Binge drinking – Alcohol also lowers the testosterone levels in your body and increases the amount of estrogen due to which you have a very hard time getting it up (pun intended) after a night of heavy drinking.