In our previous article, we gave you a step-by-step guide on how to do the Surya Namaskar the right way. In case you are wondering why you should begin your day with this exercise, here are some reasons. Surya Namaskar in the morning: (Read: How to practise Surya Namaskar the right way)
Boosts your overall health
Incorporating the Surya Namaskar into your daily routine can make a positive difference to your life. When done correctly, it provides a complete body warm-up as well as mental awareness. The process involves taking deep breathes while doing the 12 asanas which is beneficial for one’s health.
It also improves one’s digestive system by the alternate stretching and compression of the abdominal organs. People who suffer from constipation and dyspepsia or indigestion should practise Surya Namaskar every morning on an empty stomach. (Read: Top 10 home remedies for constipation)
Gives you rock-hard abs
Your abdominal muscles are strengthened when the asanas are performed on a regular basis meaning that your core muscles including your abs get a great workout!
Helps you detox
Due to the active inhalation and exhalation process, the lungs are thoroughly ventilated and the blood remains oxygenated. This also helps in detoxifying one’s body by getting rid of carbon dioxide and other toxic gases. (Read: Detox diet plan)
Keeps anxiety at bay
It helps improve your memory and nervous system and also helps calm you down and get rid of anxiety. It normalizes the activity of the endocrine glands, especially the thyroid gland.
The asanas performed in Surya Namaskar workout your entire body, making you more flexible and agile.
Promotes regular menstrual cycle
If you have an irregular menstrual cycle, then this exercise will help you suppress the irregularity. (Read: Tried and tested tips to reduce menstrual pain)
Tones the arms, strengthens the spine
If toned arms and a broad chest if what you want, then Surya Namaskar is for you. It also makes your spine stronger and your waist more flexible.
Keeps you youthful
Incorporating it in your routine will keep you youthful and healthy even in old age.
Helps in weight loss
It will help you lose weigh faster, much faster than dieting.
Though Surya Namaskar should be a part of your morning routine, there are certain exceptions when it comes to who cannot practise this exercise.
- Pregnant women should not practise this after their third month of pregnancy.
- Patients of hernia and high blood pressure are advised against this practice.
- People suffering from back pain should seek proper advice before commencing Surya Namaskar.
- Women should avoid Surya Namaskar and other asanas during their periods.
So start your day with Surya Namaskar and see the difference in your physical and mental state within a short period. Celebrities like Kareena Kapoor, Jennifer Aniston and many others swear by it.
You may also like to read:
- 12 yoga poses for weight loss
- 10 yoga poses to keep diabetes under control (gallery)
- 4 yoga poses to beat menstrual pain that really work
- Yoga asanas to beat hair loss
- Want glowing skin? Forget expensive creams and try yoga
- Control premature ejaculation with yoga
- Naked yoga – does it have any real health benefits?
- Keep your face fit with face yoga
- Try these yoga poses to improve digestion
- 7 yoga tips for a happy pregnancy
Know your yoga asana
- A yoga asana for instant relief from backaches – marjariasana or cat stretch
- Yoga pose for a stronger orgasm – dhanurasana
- Yoga asana for thighs, belly fat and buttocks
- Anulom-vilom pranayam – beat diabetes, heart disease and high cholesterol with this yoga asana
- Halasana – beat bad posture and backaches with this yoga asana
- Know your yoga asana – Veerbhadrasana
- Know your yoga asana – Vrkshasana
- Adho Mukho Svanasana – strengthen your upper body and calm your mind with this asana
- Know your yoga asana – Sarvangasana
- Know your yoga pose – Padmasana
For more yoga, check out our yoga section. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest updates! For daily free health tips, sign up for our newsletter. And to join discussions on health topics of your choice, visit our forum.