Makes 8 glasses
Preparation time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 liter water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar substitute
- 1 tbsp. almonds (badam)
- 1 tbsp. melon seeds (kalonji)
- 2 tsp. poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 1 tsp. whole peppercorns (sabut kali-mirch)
- 2 tsp. aniseed (saunf)
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom powder (elaichi)
- 1 tbsp gulkand (optional)
- Wash and clean all dry ingredients except sugar and cardamom.
- Soak sugar in half a litre of the water.
- Soak the remaining ingredients in two cups of water. Keep aside.
- Keep all soaked ingredients for a minimum of two hours.
- Grind all soaked ingredients except sugar to a fine paste. It works best if you use a stone grinder. Add the remaining water to the paste.
- Strain the mixture through a muslin cloth or a very fine strainer.
- Now add milk, sugar-water and rosewater to the extracted liquid.
- If using cardamom powder mix it in with the milk.
- Mix well and serve chilled.