A new study has found that the way you style your hair, along with the styling tools you use, can cause significant hair damage. This damage can cause your hair to look brittle, frizzy and lacklustre or even fall out. The good news is that you can prevent damage by following tips from dermatologists.
‘Hair myths, such as brushing your hair one hundred strokes each day, can cause split ends,’ board-certified dermatologist Paradi Mirmirani, MD, FAAD, assistant clinical professor of dermatology at the University of California, San Francisco, said. ‘Having healthy hair is possible if you know how to care for your hair before and after styling,’ the dermatologist said.
Read: Why do we lose hair?
To prevent hair damage and hair loss, Dr Mirmirani recommends people follow these simple tips:
- Dry your hair by wrapping it in a towel after a shower or bath. Another alternative is letting your hair air-dry.
- Most people should handle wet hair as little as possible as wet hair breaks more easily when combed or brushed. However, people with tightly curled or textured hair should brush their hair when wet to decrease the chances of hair breakage.
- Keep brushing to minimum. Brushing your hair 100 strokes each day can cause split ends.
- Reduce the use of ‘long-lasting hold’ styling products. Using a comb to style your hair after you apply the product can cause the hair to break and can lead to hair loss over time.
- Allow your hair to partially air dry before you style or comb. Decreasing the number of times per week that you blow dry also helps limit damage.
- Flat irons should be used on dry hair on a low or medium heat setting, no more often than every other day. If you use a curling iron, only leave it in place for a second or two. No matter your hair type, excessive heat can damage your hair.
- Do not continuously wear braids, cornrows, ponytails and hair extensions.
- These styles pull on the hair and can cause tension that leads to breakage. If the tension continues, permanent hair loss can develop
You may also like to read:
- 6 home remedies to prevent hair loss
- Control hair loss with these diet tips
- Beat hair loss at home with these yoga asanas
- Five herbal oils to prevent hair loss
- Revealed — expert tips to prevent hair loss
- Prevent hair loss with these 5 home-made vegetable packs
- What type of hair loss are you suffering from?
- Hair loss in women – which of these 10 reasons are causing yours?
- ‘A permanent solution for hair loss’ (Expert interview)
- Beat hair loss with Platelet-Rich Plasma therapy
- Can hair loss be reversed with non-surgical methods/stem cell treatments?
- 20 treatments for hair loss
For more articles on hair loss, check out our hair loss page. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest updates! For daily free health tips, sign up for our newsletter. And to join discussions on health topics of your choice, visit our forum.